This weeks guestmix comes from one of our most important family members ‘Debonair’ or Conor Bevan as the police like to call him. Debonair has had a release on our last EP called ‘Why?‘ and also has one on our upcoming vinyl called ‘Your Love‘ so its safe to say we’ve cut him his own key to the house and don’t mind him coming to raid the fridge every now and then. Debonair’s edits are some of the best out there and with him now focussing more on originals there’s some very exciting things on the horizon for this London fella who’s just fled to Australia (brings us back to the police thing). I must admit I constantly follow this guy around Soundcloud, stalking his favourites as he unearths some real gems, some of which he showcases on his excellent Voyager mix series.
His mix for us charts a familiar journey, echoing the direction so many people music tastes develop. Starting with a lot of melodic vocal driven disco and progressing deeper and deeper down the rabbit hole into booming gutsy house with treated vocals and irresistible basslines. Some of the highlights of this journey for me are Charlotte Gainsbourg’s ‘Paradisco (Joakims Paradisco Garage Remix)’ for its haunting vocals and its pace which seems to gather and gather. Another standout for me is the hypnotic Sellouts – Let Me Work with its piercing vocal stabs. We caught up with Conor to talk about slapping celebrities, creme fraiche, Victoria sponge and high five’s
To listen to this mix on Soundcloud CLICK HERE
Tracklist under interview
Well kind of…it’s partially down to my obsession with wearing shirts every frickin’ day. I own t-shirts & polos but they never seem to leave the wardrobe. It’s like I’m permanently ready for an interview.
Apart from George Foreman, I’d say Danny from The C90s. We conveniently lived together for two years….he used make all sorts of oven hot material in my flat and I rather liked the look of it. He’s taught me the difference between a side-parting and a side-chain….
I love Rolf Harris, Steve Irwin (R.I.P), Kylie (not her music) and Harold Bishop in equal measure, so why not embrace their fulfilling culture. I’ve been following the Aussie scene for so many years now and it’s dead cool. Bag Raiders, Shazam, Flight Facilities, Rocco Riamundo, Tornado Wallace are all at ease with making quality tunage. There’s a sound that they’ve developed….it’s crisp & summery.
Being told to lighten the mood after playing Proxy – Dancing In The Dark at 9pm on my first ever gig 5 years ago.
Mongolian psy-trance was so last year!!! Recently I’ve become partial to some rich mahogany jazz flute with a sprinkle of creme fraiche.
Well my game plan is to move on from reworks and muscle up on original productions. I’ve got a stack of demos that I’d love to get finished some day!
Brand identity is really important for me. Having a consistent look and feel that people can associate with you is definitely a productive thing. Hopefully people connect with the dude with the red circles!
Victoria sponge, because Mr Kipling knows how to make exceedingly good cakes.
Davina MaCall, because she needs to pipe down and take a cock!
Clay Davis from The Wire, because he knew all about the good sheeeeeeeeeeeet.
1. Jimmy Edgar – Switch Switch
2. Kraak & Smaak – Runnin’
3. Slugabed – Sex
1. Eddie C – Winelite
2. The Lovin Spoonful – Summer In The City (Peter Visti Edit)
3. Rockers Revenge – Walking On Sunshine (featuring Donnie Calvin)
4. Charlotte Gainsbourg – Paradisco (Joakims Paradisco Garage Remix)
5. Pollyester – Concierge d’Armour (Prins Thomas Diskomiks)
6. Sargeant & Malone – Love Message (The Revenge edit) Buy at Juno Download (Mp3/WAV)
7. Weekend Express – 2 The Rhythm
8. Sellouts – Let Me Work Buy at Juno Download (Mp3/WAV)
9. Octo Octa – Let Me See You Buy at Juno Download (Mp3/WAV)
10. Jessie Ware – Running (Disclosure Remix) Buy at Juno Download (Mp3/WAV)
11. Christophe – The Force (Julio Bashmore Piano Mix)
12. Themroc – Gold Is Your Metal (Paper Faces Remix)
13. Maxxi Soundsystem – Make Or Break Buy at Juno Download (Mp3/WAV)
14. B.Traits – Fever (Eats Everything Glandular remix)
15. Space Dimension Controller – The Love Quadrant